When it comes to decking, most people automatically think of wood. Wood is a classic, timeless material that is versatile and can be used in almost any type of outdoor space. But while wood may be the most popular choice for decking, it isn’t always the best option. There are a few factors to consider when choosing materials for your decking project – cost, maintenance requirements, environmental impact, and longevity. Today, we’ll explain the advantages of wood as well as offer some alternative materials to explore this year.
Cost-wise, wood is generally the most affordable option. It can vary in price depending on what type of wood you choose, but it’s usually much cheaper than composite materials or stone. Wood is also fairly easy to install and maintain, but the downside is that you’ll need to do some regular maintenance like cleaning and staining/sealing to keep it looking good and prevent rot and decay.
When it comes to environmental impact, wood isn’t the best choice – it’s not a renewable resource and can require large amounts of energy for harvesting and processing. It also requires more chemicals for treatment than composite materials or stone would. Alternatives such as composite decking, made from recycled plastics, are much more eco-friendly and long-lasting.
Here are some quick-fire benefits of wooden decking:
- Easily customizable and can be stained in a variety of colors
- Low maintenance and cost-effective compared to other materials
- Can be easily installed by homeowners or contractors
Alternatives to Wooden Decking
What if the wood isn’t right for your outdoor space? Not to worry – there are plenty of other materials perfect for decking projects. Here are a few alternative options you can consider:
- Composite Decking: Made from recycled plastic, composite decking is more durable and eco-friendly than natural wood. It also requires less maintenance and won’t fade or rot over time.
- Aluminum Decking: A lightweight, low-maintenance option that’s resistant to rust and corrosion. Aluminum decking also comes in a variety of colors and styles.
- Stone Decking: Perfect for adding a touch of luxury to any outdoor space, stone decking is incredibly durable and requires very little maintenance. It’s also ideal for those who want an elegant, timeless look.
- PVC Decking: A highly durable and low-maintenance option that comes in a variety of colors and styles. It’s also resistant to rot, scratch, stain, and fade.
No matter what material you choose for your decking project, make sure it fits your needs as well as the style of your outdoor space. With the many options available, there’s sure to be something perfect for you.
For example, look at Outdure’s new alternative to wood decking. With the right research and professional advice, you can find the perfect material for your next decking project. With the right knowledge and resources, you’ll be able to make your outdoor living area something special.
Whether it’s wood, composite, aluminum, stone, or PVC – there’s a perfect decking material for everyone. Do your research and find the one that fits both your needs and wants!